My first Mama Bear moment towards a child occurred today when I took the kids to the park behind our house.
Today it was beautiful and sunny and warm enough for just a sweatshirt...this is huge for March in Germany. Just last week we still had snow, yesterday morning we had to scrape our windows on our car. The sunshine today was amazing, and it was the perfect day to be outside.
So after our dentist appointment today (the kids were rock stars and did great!) we picked up a pizza for dinner and hurried outside to play at the park. The park always has unattended children playing, but I refuse to let me kiddos be out there alone. I watch what the other kids say to them and how they interact. I step in when they do something not safe or inappropriate. I like to "let them be kids" but I will always watch over them, I'm not over protective -- just protective enough.
Well this one little girl and her brother were playing at the park. The brother was riding a bicycle and George decided to follow him around the park. I asked the kid if he was bothering him, and he said no, that it was fun to have someone play with him. Apparently his sister got jealous and she came over to George with a toy and showed him all the noises it made and offered it to him. He said "da" and took the toy. She let him hold hit for an entire 20 seconds then snatched it back from him and said "too bad."
I didn't intervene because George seemed okay, and went back to playing with her brother on the bike. Then the little girl ran up to him and offered him the toy again and when he reached for it she swiped it away and ran off. I went over and got George and explained that she wasn't being nice and we could play over here on this side of the park. Well the little girl followed us and tried to do it again, so I raised my voice a little and explained to her that what she was doing was wrong, and to leave my son alone. I also may have threatened to fine her parents if I saw her teasing either of my kids again. She seemed slightly contrite and left George alone....
Until she realized Gergana was playing alone on the swings. So she went over that and started talking to her meanly, and when Gergana would talk back she would snap at her and tell her you need to speak English I don't understand you. I wanted to pop that little girl, but I refrained (you're welcome).
I had another discussion with the little girl about how they were learning English, and if she didn't want to talk to Gergana she didn't have too, but she was not going to be mean or rude to her.
The little girl then left both of my kids alone, but I am so angry with how she acted. I guess teasing them wasn't worth getting yelled at by me.
I am super proud of the little boy who lives above us, and when I see his parents again I am going to thank them for raising a great son. He stood up to the little girl on the play ground and told her she needed to be nice to them, that they are nice kids but they are adopted. He likes to ask questions about them and likes to play with them. He'll even show them how to use some of the play ground equipment, and he seems to generally have there best interest at heart.
I'm happy there are little kids in this world who act like our neighbors.
It gives me hope for the future. :0)
Love,
Lura
Today it was beautiful and sunny and warm enough for just a sweatshirt...this is huge for March in Germany. Just last week we still had snow, yesterday morning we had to scrape our windows on our car. The sunshine today was amazing, and it was the perfect day to be outside.
So after our dentist appointment today (the kids were rock stars and did great!) we picked up a pizza for dinner and hurried outside to play at the park. The park always has unattended children playing, but I refuse to let me kiddos be out there alone. I watch what the other kids say to them and how they interact. I step in when they do something not safe or inappropriate. I like to "let them be kids" but I will always watch over them, I'm not over protective -- just protective enough.
Well this one little girl and her brother were playing at the park. The brother was riding a bicycle and George decided to follow him around the park. I asked the kid if he was bothering him, and he said no, that it was fun to have someone play with him. Apparently his sister got jealous and she came over to George with a toy and showed him all the noises it made and offered it to him. He said "da" and took the toy. She let him hold hit for an entire 20 seconds then snatched it back from him and said "too bad."
I didn't intervene because George seemed okay, and went back to playing with her brother on the bike. Then the little girl ran up to him and offered him the toy again and when he reached for it she swiped it away and ran off. I went over and got George and explained that she wasn't being nice and we could play over here on this side of the park. Well the little girl followed us and tried to do it again, so I raised my voice a little and explained to her that what she was doing was wrong, and to leave my son alone. I also may have threatened to fine her parents if I saw her teasing either of my kids again. She seemed slightly contrite and left George alone....
Until she realized Gergana was playing alone on the swings. So she went over that and started talking to her meanly, and when Gergana would talk back she would snap at her and tell her you need to speak English I don't understand you. I wanted to pop that little girl, but I refrained (you're welcome).
I had another discussion with the little girl about how they were learning English, and if she didn't want to talk to Gergana she didn't have too, but she was not going to be mean or rude to her.
The little girl then left both of my kids alone, but I am so angry with how she acted. I guess teasing them wasn't worth getting yelled at by me.
I am super proud of the little boy who lives above us, and when I see his parents again I am going to thank them for raising a great son. He stood up to the little girl on the play ground and told her she needed to be nice to them, that they are nice kids but they are adopted. He likes to ask questions about them and likes to play with them. He'll even show them how to use some of the play ground equipment, and he seems to generally have there best interest at heart.
I'm happy there are little kids in this world who act like our neighbors.
It gives me hope for the future. :0)
Love,
Lura
No comments:
Post a Comment