Today was supposed to be our home study visit, however our social worker got stuck in a stand still traffic jam on the autobahn (freeway) and had to reschedule. So Monday at 6pm it is! So those of you who threw positive vibes our way, keep them coming and extend them through the weekend! :)
At first I was disheartened that it was going to take an additional 4 days before we could get the official blessing from our social worker, but at least this give us more time for our letters or recommendations, and certificates to come in the mail. Everything happens for a reason, and you just have to have faith! (I think I am going to have to remind myself of that often in the next few months...)
But good news is that the sibling set that we are interested in is officially adoptable! I know this sounds backwards, but due to some civil unrest and changes in governmental policy in the country we are adopting from, we were expecting about a 90 day pause in our adoption proceedings, until they became available again. This is great news!!! The down side of this is now we have 3 less months to have fund-raisers, collect funds, and work to increase our savings. We sat down and figured out we can save about $2,000 a month towards this adoption. With the adoption originally planning on taking 7 months, we could save about $14,000, if not more. But now that we could get the kids sooner then that, our savings objectives just dwindled. We also know that once we get the kids we will not able to put that much money aside, since we will be paying for their everyday expenses. But as I said before, we just have to have faith that everything will work out.
These kids deserve to be reunited and have a safe, loving, and nurturing family, and we want to provide that!
I also have a confession. Asking people to help us is hard! Bobby and I have great pride in being able to take care of ourselves, and being financially smart. Now I feel like a beggar, always posting, talking, and emailing about our different fund-raisers and how you can help us. I have brought up our adoption in almost every conversation I have had in the last two weeks. I have talked to complete strangers, co-workers, my boss (and their boss, and their boss too), family, and friends just getting the word out about what we are trying to do, and how you can help (if you are able). It's hard to swallow your pride, and say that you need help.
We desperately need help, especially with the adoption moving forward so quickly! This is a blessing (and we are not complaining at all). I talked to a very wise woman today and she pointed out that we are not beggars, we are not asking for money to help pay our bills. We are asking our family, friends, and complete strangers to help give this sibling set a chance to be reunited and raised in a loving family who will care for them. We are fund-raising to save two children from a life in an orphanage. This wise woman also pointed out that we are doing a good deed, and should not feel guilty or ashamed in asking for assistance. So from this point forward I am going to try to listen to this woman and put a smile on my face as I share our story and what we are trying to do!
Thank you for everything you have already provided. The support we have received was stronger then anything we could have imagined!
Please keep sharing our blog, and our fund-raising information!!!
With this, I will say good night! I hope you all have a fantastic weekend.
Love,
Lura
At first I was disheartened that it was going to take an additional 4 days before we could get the official blessing from our social worker, but at least this give us more time for our letters or recommendations, and certificates to come in the mail. Everything happens for a reason, and you just have to have faith! (I think I am going to have to remind myself of that often in the next few months...)
But good news is that the sibling set that we are interested in is officially adoptable! I know this sounds backwards, but due to some civil unrest and changes in governmental policy in the country we are adopting from, we were expecting about a 90 day pause in our adoption proceedings, until they became available again. This is great news!!! The down side of this is now we have 3 less months to have fund-raisers, collect funds, and work to increase our savings. We sat down and figured out we can save about $2,000 a month towards this adoption. With the adoption originally planning on taking 7 months, we could save about $14,000, if not more. But now that we could get the kids sooner then that, our savings objectives just dwindled. We also know that once we get the kids we will not able to put that much money aside, since we will be paying for their everyday expenses. But as I said before, we just have to have faith that everything will work out.
These kids deserve to be reunited and have a safe, loving, and nurturing family, and we want to provide that!
Also, our friends that our in Germany -- we are collecting donations for a yard sale that we will be having at the Ramstein Community Center on July 23rd from 10am-2pm! All funds raised will go to our adoption. If this sale goes well, we will be doing it biweekly! Also we will be listing items for sale on Ramstein Yard Sales (www.ramsteinyardsales.com). Anything you can provide will be greatly appreciated! And if you are in the shopping mood, please come see us!!!!
I also have a confession. Asking people to help us is hard! Bobby and I have great pride in being able to take care of ourselves, and being financially smart. Now I feel like a beggar, always posting, talking, and emailing about our different fund-raisers and how you can help us. I have brought up our adoption in almost every conversation I have had in the last two weeks. I have talked to complete strangers, co-workers, my boss (and their boss, and their boss too), family, and friends just getting the word out about what we are trying to do, and how you can help (if you are able). It's hard to swallow your pride, and say that you need help.
We desperately need help, especially with the adoption moving forward so quickly! This is a blessing (and we are not complaining at all). I talked to a very wise woman today and she pointed out that we are not beggars, we are not asking for money to help pay our bills. We are asking our family, friends, and complete strangers to help give this sibling set a chance to be reunited and raised in a loving family who will care for them. We are fund-raising to save two children from a life in an orphanage. This wise woman also pointed out that we are doing a good deed, and should not feel guilty or ashamed in asking for assistance. So from this point forward I am going to try to listen to this woman and put a smile on my face as I share our story and what we are trying to do!
Thank you for everything you have already provided. The support we have received was stronger then anything we could have imagined!
Please keep sharing our blog, and our fund-raising information!!!
With this, I will say good night! I hope you all have a fantastic weekend.
Love,
Lura
Lura, I truley believe what u guys are doing is great. I'm so happy for u ans things will be wonderful. I know u and bobby will give those children and great life and teach them all lessons that should be told.
ReplyDeleteLove angie, matt, and xoe
I miss you Bakers! Thank you! Hopefully we will be stationed near each other again someday and our kiddos can play! :)
ReplyDelete