Our Journey

November 16, 2012

Housing and Friends

Today has been a rough day.

To save time this if from my facebook:

So the housing commander approved our request to move into a house prior to the kids getting here yesterday. That was the first time the document was presented to him to sign. The soonest available home isn't available until the 14th of December. If the document would have been routed (as it is supposed to be) the original time we pushed for it to be in August, or when we went in the office to 
push the issue again in October we could have been offered a home prior to going to pick up the kids. Or if the lady routing our paperwork had kept a house available for the window we were trying to move, so we could move once the approval came through. Due to specific people at the housing office not submitting documents we are now getting moved while we are in the states by awesome people in my husband's squadron. I am upset and frustrated that we are not going to be able to move prior to leaving on Wednesday. I am also frustrated that we will be coming home with the kids to a new home that we have never been in full of boxes with two new kids. There is a flaw in the system. A serious flaw. We are filing an IG complaint, as well as an ICE complaint. I will be writing my Congressman too. When people follow the procedures and allow more then enough time for their issues to be addressed and they still get screwed, it is not okay. Corruption exists when people who are aware stand by and do nothing. I will not stand by.





And just to clarify: We are grateful that we have friends here who are stepping in to help us while we are gone. I do not want to sound ungrateful. I am very, very appreciative. We are filing the IG complaint and ICE complaint to address the issues with this housing office and the way our paperwork was (not) processed and our request was handled. I am contacting our senator and congressmen to explain what happened to us and to *hopefully* stop this from happening to another family by changing policy and/or updating the AFI to help adoptive families.







Basically, Housing is letting us move, but we are being moved while we are in the states by my husband's awesome unit and some great friends.  I am truly humble and grateful for people stepping up to the plate to help while we are gone.  I am very anxious about coming back to Germany with the kids and coming to a home we have never been to before, but at least it will be a first for our family of four.  :)

I just hope everything goes smoothly.  I'm a little OCD and a bit of a control-freak (if you haven't already noticed....) and letting others do this without us here is a bit nerve wracking.  This weekend the hubs and I are going to label all of the boxes and put everything into the living room so we can PCS clean all of the other rooms.  We also have the blueprints for the apartment so we are going to label where all of the furniture goes so it will make it a little bit easier.

We are going to ask them to set up the kids room and their beds and to put a few toys out to make at least their rooms more personal.  The rest can be dealt with when we make it home.

After our meeting with housing today, we went to the BX to have lunch and just regroup.  I ran into quite a few friends today that offered a hug and a congratulations and they all reminded me that we leave in just five more days!  I needed the hug and the reminder so much...I love how you run into people just when you need it most. :)

We also picked the kids up toothbrush holders, shampoo, and toothpaste (because we are slackers and didn't think about these things before and noticed we didn't have them when we packed up their bags) :)

Shortly after I got home today I got online and one of our friends in Germany has set up a website for us so people can sign up to bring us meals during our first two weeks home.  I have never heard of the website before, but it is awesome! I think I will definitely have to use it in the future for others :) This is the website if you are interested Take them a Meal.

The morning started off horrible with housing, and has shaped up with being reminded how much love and support our family has.

Thank you for being a part of our journey.

We are beyond humbled and blessed.

Love,

Lura





No comments:

Post a Comment