This story begins the first day of 7th grade. I had just moved to California with my older brother to live with my Mom and my new step-dad Kenny. I was nervous about being the "new kid" at school, and was very anxious about the first day of school. On my very first day of school, I met Amy. Amy's family has just moved from Japan to California, so she was the "new kid," as well. We actually spent the entire first week of school sitting in the wrong gym class, and we were threatened with suspension for our error (but that is another story for another blog).
From the first day of 7th grade until 10th grade (when Amy's family moved to San Diego) we were inseperable. We ate lunch together, hung out after school, and laughed (alot). I don't know how we stayed friends since we never had classes together (until 10th grade Latin)-- but somehow we did.
See Amy was the first friend that I can remember in my life that I could be a complete idiot around, and still feel completely accepted. It is very hard to find friends like this. I have laughed so hard with her that I have peed my pants. I rode a bike on a sprained ankle to get lunch, so she wouldn't have to go alone. I lost many backpacks to our stupid games. We wrote numerous journals back and forth to keep in touch. We argued about which boy band was better (and I will argue to the death it is N'SYNC lol). I let her braid my hair to a point that when the braids came undone I had the largest afro possible (not even tying a handkerchief could hold it down). We discovered the internet together. And we discovered boys...She was my best friend. She is still my best friend...many, many years later. She is the girl that I can not talk to for six months, and when we finally reconnect it is like we have never been apart. She is seriously a part of me.
It is hard to find friends like this. Friends that become a part of you, and leave forever footprints on your soul.
Since Amy, I can honestly only name a few "forever" friends that I know will be in my life for the rest of my life. Every stage of my life has one great best friend that I keep in touch with (and you all know who you are).
Every time we move, which is often in my husband's line of work, I have to leave a few friends behind and struggle to make new ones. I make lots of acquaintances, a few friends, and, If I'm lucky, a new best friend.
We have been in Germany for over 2 years and I have made lots of friends, but no one that I instantly click with, and I feel like our souls have met somewhere before. That was until I met Amanda. Amanda just moved here in January and reached out to us through our blog. We started talking, and decided to meet for lunch. We have tons in common, and we get along amazingly well. We have been walking together, and I can see he being apart of my life for a long, long time.
Before Amanda even met me, she ordered a bedding set to the Pixar movie Cars theme. She purchased a complete stranger, a bedding set for her future adopted children.
Then a few weeks ago we were talking, and I was telling her about how saving money sometimes sucks. I miss shopping. I miss buying things for others. Plus this year, Bobby promised me a stand up mixer. I was excited about this prospect, but when we decided to adopt -- I told him we could wait until next year. I can think of two sweet little angels that need the money we would save, more then we need the mixer.
I was talking to Amanda and telling her one day about how I couldnt wait to bake with our kids. It's one of the things my mom, step-mom, and grandfather did with me growing up. I love to bake, and can't wait to share this with my children.
Well, one day I went to get the mail, and there was a mixer there. A brand new, pretty, gorgeous mixer. This amazing new friend purchased it for us so that we could create memories with our children. I can't wait to make chocolate chip cookies with our kids!
She has been there to listen to me rant, listen to me rejoice, and listen to my frustration as we have been going through this process. She has become my sounding board, and is always there when I need her. I am lucky to have found a best-friend here in Germany -- and I know she will always be apart of our lives -- she has already left a foot print on my soul.
Thank you Amanda for being who you are! I know "thank you" is just not enough...
Love,
Lura
From the first day of 7th grade until 10th grade (when Amy's family moved to San Diego) we were inseperable. We ate lunch together, hung out after school, and laughed (alot). I don't know how we stayed friends since we never had classes together (until 10th grade Latin)-- but somehow we did.
| Amy and I in 2010 |
See Amy was the first friend that I can remember in my life that I could be a complete idiot around, and still feel completely accepted. It is very hard to find friends like this. I have laughed so hard with her that I have peed my pants. I rode a bike on a sprained ankle to get lunch, so she wouldn't have to go alone. I lost many backpacks to our stupid games. We wrote numerous journals back and forth to keep in touch. We argued about which boy band was better (and I will argue to the death it is N'SYNC lol). I let her braid my hair to a point that when the braids came undone I had the largest afro possible (not even tying a handkerchief could hold it down). We discovered the internet together. And we discovered boys...She was my best friend. She is still my best friend...many, many years later. She is the girl that I can not talk to for six months, and when we finally reconnect it is like we have never been apart. She is seriously a part of me.
It is hard to find friends like this. Friends that become a part of you, and leave forever footprints on your soul.
Since Amy, I can honestly only name a few "forever" friends that I know will be in my life for the rest of my life. Every stage of my life has one great best friend that I keep in touch with (and you all know who you are).
Every time we move, which is often in my husband's line of work, I have to leave a few friends behind and struggle to make new ones. I make lots of acquaintances, a few friends, and, If I'm lucky, a new best friend.
We have been in Germany for over 2 years and I have made lots of friends, but no one that I instantly click with, and I feel like our souls have met somewhere before. That was until I met Amanda. Amanda just moved here in January and reached out to us through our blog. We started talking, and decided to meet for lunch. We have tons in common, and we get along amazingly well. We have been walking together, and I can see he being apart of my life for a long, long time.
Before Amanda even met me, she ordered a bedding set to the Pixar movie Cars theme. She purchased a complete stranger, a bedding set for her future adopted children.
Then a few weeks ago we were talking, and I was telling her about how saving money sometimes sucks. I miss shopping. I miss buying things for others. Plus this year, Bobby promised me a stand up mixer. I was excited about this prospect, but when we decided to adopt -- I told him we could wait until next year. I can think of two sweet little angels that need the money we would save, more then we need the mixer.
I was talking to Amanda and telling her one day about how I couldnt wait to bake with our kids. It's one of the things my mom, step-mom, and grandfather did with me growing up. I love to bake, and can't wait to share this with my children.
Well, one day I went to get the mail, and there was a mixer there. A brand new, pretty, gorgeous mixer. This amazing new friend purchased it for us so that we could create memories with our children. I can't wait to make chocolate chip cookies with our kids!
She has been there to listen to me rant, listen to me rejoice, and listen to my frustration as we have been going through this process. She has become my sounding board, and is always there when I need her. I am lucky to have found a best-friend here in Germany -- and I know she will always be apart of our lives -- she has already left a foot print on my soul.
Thank you Amanda for being who you are! I know "thank you" is just not enough...
Love,
Lura
NSYNC is the best. Amy's nuts. And im happy you two found each other :D I get fun benefits - like going to germany and getting a cool guest book for my wedding (**wink wink***) :D
ReplyDeleteThis post made me cry. So glad for your friendship with Amanda and the way you've been blessed through her.
ReplyDelete