yes, it's true -- bobby has officially cut me off. No more spending, no more buying until we go and meet the kids....
Well let me lead you up to why I've been cut off....(and just prepare yourself -- you'll probably agree with Bobby).
But first you get the entire story of my day...so grab a snack, and enjoy...
This morning I dropped Bobby off at work and then went to the Shoppette on a hunt for Tylenol. When I am not feeling well, Tylenol is about all I can take, and today I really, really wanted some. We have been out of Tylenol for about a month, and have been looking for it at both Commissaries (aka the grocery store), the BX (aka Wal-mart, but not as well stocked), and both of the Shoppettes (aka 7-11 without the Slurpees). Basically every American location possible, but to no avail it seems that this area is out of Tylenol....I swear this base runs out of the strangest things....However while I was staring at the empty shelf waiting for the Tylenol to magically appear I noticed that a lady was staring at me. I looked over at her, smiled and said, "good morning." She then proceeded to tell me that she knew me from some where, but couldn't place it. I listed off my work, my husband's work, previous bases etc., but couldn't figure out where she has seen me before. I was ready to write it off as an, "I must look like someone else moment," when she got excited and asked me if I was adopting. Apparently she reads our blog, and I was so rude that I never got her name. So nice lady at the Shoppette this morning, thank you for supporting us and your encouraging words! I hope you have a great weekend!
Then I drove to work in the crazy weather. Seriously it was raining sideways again, and the wind was blowing so hard. They had a weather warning that it was going to be up to 45 knots...whatever that actually means....I struggled to walk in a straight line....But work today was amazingly productive...let me start with that. :) I got caught up on stuff that had been piling on my desk all week :) I love days like this...especially when they are Fridays!!!
Also, Bobby and I had lunch together today. I love days when we get alone time in the middle of the day. We had our favorite server at JR Rockers, and we just had a great conversation!
Then Bobby got off a little early and picked up the mail before he came to get me. When he arrived he let me know that two packages came in the mail today. One was very heavy and the packing slip said "toys," and the other one said, "home improvement," on it. He didn't know about any of these packages prior to his trip to the post office, and was concerned with what I had purchased and how much I spent...
Prior to our adoption, I spent within reason, but I bought things regularly. We saved money, paid our bills, and bought pretty things. But see, I am a bargain shopper. So this time of year I find amazing deals and buy things! See if I like something I keep it in the back of my mind, and I price shop. When it goes on an amazing sale, which everything does, I purchase it. I also price shop for Christmas/Birthday/Anniversary presents for my family and friends. See I had (see the past tense here...) a closet where I kept future presents for people that I had purchased at amazing prices. I also pick up items when we go to festivals and such around Europe that I know people will enjoy. Sometimes I have 3 or 4 presents in the closet for just one person. But since we have been doing the adoption, I have actually sold some of the presents to raise money, and I completely stopped collecting them. There are a few that I have kept that I will give away next year (they were just too perfect to part with), but right now my closet is bare...This shopaholic has been on strike....well until I got news from Shelley and our social worker that everything was great, and we could officially adopt our Bulgarian Prince and Princess.
So last week I went on a mini shopping binge, but it was all for a great cause. See it's not really my fault...we are going to blame Amazon and their amazing deals! Also Kohls too (Kohl's cash is evil....it just lure's you in and then you have to come back and spend it...) If their sales weren't so good, and I didn't know that the kids were definitely going to coming home in the near future -- I wouldn't shop...I promise I wouldn't....
Okay I digress. See the box of "toys" that came from Amazon is all Melisa and Doug toys from Amazon. If you haven't heard of Melissa and Doug toys -- they are educational toys that are well crafted. They have tons of this brand at the day care on base (where I used to work), and they are normally quite pricey. See Amazon had a deal of the day where all of the Melissa and Doug toys were 50-75% off, so I went a little crazy....but it's all educational, in my defense!
The other box that came in the mail is a surprise Christmas present for Bobby -- although I guess it is no longer a surprise since he picked it up from the Post Office. However he doesn't know what is inside, so I can't share that with you yet. But it is something that he has wanted for a long while, and when I tell him how cheap I got it for, he will forgive me...Also, just because the box says, "home improvement," doesn't mean it's for the house. We once got a box that was labeled the same and it had a backpack in it...go figure.
So today we went to the BX to order the kids beds, and dressers. The BX is the only place where we can buy American size beds (which is important for when we move back to the states and we want to purchase bedding...) There were two sets that we were interested in, only one was in stock -- so that is the one we chose. I am going to keep you in suspense on their bedroom sets until it arrives and is set up (I have to keep you coming back for more, right?) :)
Well the BX was having a special until the 24th. If you spend $999 on your Military Star Card (which is the card you can use at the BX) you get a $250.00 gift card. Well the two beds, two dressers, and two mattresses was a little over $1600, so we figured if we spent $400 more we would get $500 in gift cards -- so it was a win-win. And yes, I know you are probably in awe at how expensive this furniture is -- but really, the BX has the market cornered -- where else are we going to go?
Plus while we were in the furniture department another lady stopped us. She recognized us through our blog and stopped to share her adoption journey with us. I have chatted with her before, and we have actually become Facebook friends, however we have never officially met. She has adopted two gorgeous girls from Africa. They are absolutely adorable. She shared some stories with us about her adventures and we giggled. She (and her kids) refers to her eldest adopted daughter who is 7 and her son who is also 7 as twins. Bobby was really impressed by this. This family was completely seamless, all the children got along well, and everything just seemed to natural. I can't believe the people we have met during this journey -- it really is a small, small world!
After running into our new friends, Bobby and I went on a mini shopping spree. We purchased a new vacuum -- it was on sale and had an instant rebate on it. Our old vacuum decided last weekend that it didn't want to function anymore, so it really was time for a new one. With Lucy (our rott-german shepard mix) you cannot go without a vacuum. This dog sheds like no other!
We also bought a blanket for each bed, and a mattress pad. We bought the before mentioned dog 2 bags of food (they were 25% off plus they each had a $10 off coupon), and 2 new squeaky toys for Christmas. We bought a large pack of paper towels (30% off plus a $4 off coupon), and Bobby mentioned that soon we are going to have to start buying more stuff in bulk (and for some crazy reason this excited me -- I think he has just unleashed the beast...) :)
Then we went into the toys section....
Yep, it's true...I bought two Leapsters. They may be a little too advanced for them at first, but they will grow into them. Plus, this will help them learn number, letters, colors, matching, and English! I also think this will be great entertainment on the plane, waiting in waiting rooms, and traveling when we first get them! We bought a purple one for our Princess and the very last green one for our little Prince. Bobby put his foot down at buying any extra games or accessories for them -- but now I can bargain shop for those....hehe.
I also bought these two little, cute, adorable puppy dolls. Plus they are incredibly soft! I want to take a stuffed animal to each of them to leave with them between visits. Something that can see, and remember us by. I saw these and knew that these were it! :)
We also bought some flash cards and some books to work with them on their writing, English, colors, and numbers. See the thing is, when you see something at the BX and you want it -- you have to buy it immediately, otherwise you will lose your opportunity.
Well after the BX, we decided to grab a pizza for dinner in the food court, and I decided to spill the beans. See if I would have spilled the beans previously -- I don't think today would have been as much fun! :) See besides the one box of toys I purchased today -- I have also purchased a few other little things. I found some awesome deals (everything was at least 60% off I swear). I bought a few mega blocks, a rug/car track thing, a little truck, etc. Just little things, and I haven't spent that much money, really! I've spent about $250 on Amazon in the last 10 days. I know your eyes probably got super huge like my husbands did...but it was all for a great cause. Look I have two great causes right here!!!
But I know, I can't buy them everything, I can't spoil them rotten...I need to reign myself in and stop shopping...so I am...no buying anything else until we get a travel date to meet them....then, sorry hun, but it's on!
I hope you all have a fabulous, and amazing night! I am off to look at the beautiful snow, and then call it a night!
Love,
Lura
Well let me lead you up to why I've been cut off....(and just prepare yourself -- you'll probably agree with Bobby).
But first you get the entire story of my day...so grab a snack, and enjoy...
This morning I dropped Bobby off at work and then went to the Shoppette on a hunt for Tylenol. When I am not feeling well, Tylenol is about all I can take, and today I really, really wanted some. We have been out of Tylenol for about a month, and have been looking for it at both Commissaries (aka the grocery store), the BX (aka Wal-mart, but not as well stocked), and both of the Shoppettes (aka 7-11 without the Slurpees). Basically every American location possible, but to no avail it seems that this area is out of Tylenol....I swear this base runs out of the strangest things....However while I was staring at the empty shelf waiting for the Tylenol to magically appear I noticed that a lady was staring at me. I looked over at her, smiled and said, "good morning." She then proceeded to tell me that she knew me from some where, but couldn't place it. I listed off my work, my husband's work, previous bases etc., but couldn't figure out where she has seen me before. I was ready to write it off as an, "I must look like someone else moment," when she got excited and asked me if I was adopting. Apparently she reads our blog, and I was so rude that I never got her name. So nice lady at the Shoppette this morning, thank you for supporting us and your encouraging words! I hope you have a great weekend!
Then I drove to work in the crazy weather. Seriously it was raining sideways again, and the wind was blowing so hard. They had a weather warning that it was going to be up to 45 knots...whatever that actually means....I struggled to walk in a straight line....But work today was amazingly productive...let me start with that. :) I got caught up on stuff that had been piling on my desk all week :) I love days like this...especially when they are Fridays!!!
Also, Bobby and I had lunch together today. I love days when we get alone time in the middle of the day. We had our favorite server at JR Rockers, and we just had a great conversation!
Then Bobby got off a little early and picked up the mail before he came to get me. When he arrived he let me know that two packages came in the mail today. One was very heavy and the packing slip said "toys," and the other one said, "home improvement," on it. He didn't know about any of these packages prior to his trip to the post office, and was concerned with what I had purchased and how much I spent...
| Evidence... |
| Bobby investigating my purchases... |
Okay I digress. See the box of "toys" that came from Amazon is all Melisa and Doug toys from Amazon. If you haven't heard of Melissa and Doug toys -- they are educational toys that are well crafted. They have tons of this brand at the day care on base (where I used to work), and they are normally quite pricey. See Amazon had a deal of the day where all of the Melissa and Doug toys were 50-75% off, so I went a little crazy....but it's all educational, in my defense!
| Puzzles, magnets, blocks, and fun! |
So today we went to the BX to order the kids beds, and dressers. The BX is the only place where we can buy American size beds (which is important for when we move back to the states and we want to purchase bedding...) There were two sets that we were interested in, only one was in stock -- so that is the one we chose. I am going to keep you in suspense on their bedroom sets until it arrives and is set up (I have to keep you coming back for more, right?) :)
Well the BX was having a special until the 24th. If you spend $999 on your Military Star Card (which is the card you can use at the BX) you get a $250.00 gift card. Well the two beds, two dressers, and two mattresses was a little over $1600, so we figured if we spent $400 more we would get $500 in gift cards -- so it was a win-win. And yes, I know you are probably in awe at how expensive this furniture is -- but really, the BX has the market cornered -- where else are we going to go?
Plus while we were in the furniture department another lady stopped us. She recognized us through our blog and stopped to share her adoption journey with us. I have chatted with her before, and we have actually become Facebook friends, however we have never officially met. She has adopted two gorgeous girls from Africa. They are absolutely adorable. She shared some stories with us about her adventures and we giggled. She (and her kids) refers to her eldest adopted daughter who is 7 and her son who is also 7 as twins. Bobby was really impressed by this. This family was completely seamless, all the children got along well, and everything just seemed to natural. I can't believe the people we have met during this journey -- it really is a small, small world!
After running into our new friends, Bobby and I went on a mini shopping spree. We purchased a new vacuum -- it was on sale and had an instant rebate on it. Our old vacuum decided last weekend that it didn't want to function anymore, so it really was time for a new one. With Lucy (our rott-german shepard mix) you cannot go without a vacuum. This dog sheds like no other!
![]() |
| Adorable, yet very furry Lucy! |
Then we went into the toys section....
Yep, it's true...I bought two Leapsters. They may be a little too advanced for them at first, but they will grow into them. Plus, this will help them learn number, letters, colors, matching, and English! I also think this will be great entertainment on the plane, waiting in waiting rooms, and traveling when we first get them! We bought a purple one for our Princess and the very last green one for our little Prince. Bobby put his foot down at buying any extra games or accessories for them -- but now I can bargain shop for those....hehe.
I also bought these two little, cute, adorable puppy dolls. Plus they are incredibly soft! I want to take a stuffed animal to each of them to leave with them between visits. Something that can see, and remember us by. I saw these and knew that these were it! :)
We also bought some flash cards and some books to work with them on their writing, English, colors, and numbers. See the thing is, when you see something at the BX and you want it -- you have to buy it immediately, otherwise you will lose your opportunity.
Well after the BX, we decided to grab a pizza for dinner in the food court, and I decided to spill the beans. See if I would have spilled the beans previously -- I don't think today would have been as much fun! :) See besides the one box of toys I purchased today -- I have also purchased a few other little things. I found some awesome deals (everything was at least 60% off I swear). I bought a few mega blocks, a rug/car track thing, a little truck, etc. Just little things, and I haven't spent that much money, really! I've spent about $250 on Amazon in the last 10 days. I know your eyes probably got super huge like my husbands did...but it was all for a great cause. Look I have two great causes right here!!!
![]() | ||
| Look at this beautiful girl, how can you expect me not to buy her the world? :) |
![]() |
| and seriously, how can you say no to him? |
I hope you all have a fabulous, and amazing night! I am off to look at the beautiful snow, and then call it a night!
Love,
Lura



You two are amazing...I plan to adopt as well...someday. I'm glad to get any advice that I can get...
ReplyDeleteMerry Christmas!!
Lura, I miss you ....Send me your apo address on fb message and the kind of tylenol you want caplets, gelcaps ect. and I will send it out you asap. Valerie
ReplyDeleteHow exciting!!! I can't wait to do the same thing for Finn! :-)
ReplyDelete